James Patterson’s Billy Harney series follows the intense and challenging life of Detective Billy Harney as he tackles various crimes in Chicago. Each book presents a new case, starting with “The Coldest Case,” where Harney investigates a drug ring alongside his sister and a new partner. In “The Black Book,” Harney is accused of murder and must prove his innocence, relying on a mysterious black book. “The Red Book” involves a politically charged investigation, while “Escape” sees Harney on a mission to solve the abduction of teenage girls, leading to a tragic explosion and the loss of his partner.
James Patterson’s Black Book Series In Order
- “The Poet” by Michael Connelly – This novel features Jack McEvoy, a crime reporter investigating his brother’s death and uncovering a serial killer targeting police officers. See also: Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch Books in Order
- “Knots and Crosses” by Ian Rankin – Introducing Inspector Rebus, a detective in Edinburgh, this book is the first in a series where Rebus solves various complex crimes, often dealing with the darker sides of society and personal demons.
- “In the Woods” by Tana French – This book is the first in the Dublin Murder Squad series, featuring detective Rob Ryan. When a young girl is found murdered in a small Irish town, Ryan and his partner must solve the case while he confronts his own haunting past.
See also: Robert Galbraith Books in Order
Most Recommended Books
- The Coldest Case (3.66 Goodreads Score)
- The Black Book (4.29 Goodreads Score)
- The Red Book (4.29 Goodreads Score)
- Escape (4.36 Goodreads Score)
- Blackball (5.00 Goodreads Score)
James Patterson’s career is marked by several prestigious awards. He received the Literarian Award from the National Book Foundation in 2015 and 2022, and the National Humanities Medal in 2019. His other honors include the Edgar Award, Thriller of the Year, and the Children’s Choice Book Award for Author of the Year.
James Patterson’s future book releases are set to include “Cross Out” on November 20, 2023, and “What Really Happens in Vegas” on December 4, 2023. The year 2024 will see the release of “Holmes, Miss Marple, and Poe Investigations” and “Middle School: Million Dollar Mess” on January 8, followed by “Tiger, Tiger” on February 12.
The Coldest Case
Detective Billy Harney is on a mission to solve murders in a notorious drug ring in Chicago. With the help of his sister and new partner, they navigate through a dangerous world of corrupt politicians, vengeful billionaires, and dark web conspiracies. As they investigate, they become entangled in a search for a missing black book that holds crucial information.
The Black Book
The Black Book follows Billy Harney, a cop from a family of law enforcement officers. When Billy is involved in a violent incident that leaves him accused of a double murder, he must find a way to prove his innocence. With no memory of the crime, Billy embarks on a journey to uncover the truth, relying on a mysterious black book that may hold the key to his freedom or his worst nightmares.
The Red Book
The Red Book follows the story of Billy Harney, a new member of Chicago PD's elite strike force. When a drive-by shooting on the city's West Side becomes politically charged, Harney takes on the investigation despite facing personal challenges. As he delves deeper into the case, he realizes that the answers are not as simple as they seem and that he must confront his own troubled past to uncover the true evil that is corrupting the city.
Escape is a thriller about Detective Billy Harney who is determined to find the killer responsible for abducting five teenage girls. When Harney and his partner Carla follow a lead to a remote house, they find themselves in a dangerous situation. A devastating explosion kills Carla and allows the kidnapper to escape. Motivated by the loss of his partner, Harney is determined to bring the killer to justice and put an end to the violence.